Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Why I love Willy Street.

In my three weeks of residency in downtown Madison, I have already come to love the Williamson Street ("Willy Street") neighborhood. It's free-thinking and artsy with a crunchy granola after-taste: totally my scene.

Willy Street is full of some lovely kitschy wonders:

Mannequin legs on a balcony (look closely).
I'd say I've been to the neighborhood 4 or 5 times already and I always find something smile-worthy to see. I joined a local stitch-n-bitch (knitting group) last week and they meet at Mickey's Tavern on Willy Street. It's a welcoming bar with an efficient waitress and cheap, delicious food:

Tonight's dinner at Mickey's Tavern: veggie burger wrap with chips and dip. Delicious!
I have gathered that Madison in general is a very vegetarian-friendly city. This is a new concept for me after going to college in Cincinnati where they worship meaty chili and growing up in Charlotte where pork barbeque steals the show. It's nice to see a veggie burger wrap on the menu. Also, I love Madison's abundance of local restaurants instead of boring chains. I really like to support local businesses, and I get the impression that Madisonians agree.

I like you already, Willy Street. I expect you to produce some fond memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment